B-5 Laboratory Safety Rules
These precautions and suggestions are for your own safety and that of your classmates. Study this sheet thoroughly and refer to it when in doubt as to proper procedure.
1. Place backpacks underneath the tables. Keep work areas and isles free of obstruction.
2. Pay strict attention to specific safety precautions at the start of each investigation.
3. Report all accidents immediately, however slight.
4. Ask for further instructions whenever you do not understand clearly what you are to do.
5. Do not handle laboratory equipment, plants, or animals without permission.
. Laboratory equipment/specimens will not be taken outside the classroom without prior approval.
7. Avoid wearing loose, floppy clothing or dangling jewelry. Tie long hair back during labs.
8. Do not attempt unauthorized experiments.
9. Do not misuse or abuse laboratory equipment. You ill be held financially responsible for damaged equipment.
10. Avoid breathing the fumes of any chemical.
11. Never taste any material unless instructed to do so.
12. Replace the caps and tops of all bottles securely after each use.
13. Dispose of wastes only in receptacles provided for that purpose, not in the sink!
14. Clean and replace all glassware and instruments after using them.
15. Know the location of the first aid kit, fire extinguisher and eye wash station.
16. Laboratory animals and specimen should be handled with care and respect at all times. Feeding of animals should only take place under the guidance of the instruction.